Specs and Texts

|


This is the gear I'm working with to learn to DJ. I wish the back of the second photo wasn't covered in wires. It looks messy but I swear it's relatively well kept. The following are what you can and can't see:

Mixer:
Denon-x120 (This is a two channel mixer but seems quite adequate for my purposes.

CD decks:
Denon DN-S1000 (2) (These, and the mixer take up a nice compact bit of space which is great for apartment living! The decks have quite a few effects as well as the ability to scratch. Really, from what I have been reading for the price these are tops.)

Monitors:
Mackie MR5 (2) (These are 5.25" Active monitors meaning they are compact and require no external power such as an equalizer which is handy again for the small space I'm working in.)

Computer Interface:
M-Audio Fast Track Pro (I haven't fiddled much with this aside from running the output of my mixer into it and sending a USB into my computer. It works relatively well but I do notice clipping at times and am trying to adjust for the problem.)

What you can't see:

Headphones:
Stanton DJ Pro 2000 (These have a switch that lets me go between stereo and mono and while I think this is a neat feature I haven't figured out what the point is yet. Either way the headphones seem adequate. They were my second choice so that may be why I'm only lukewarm on them.)

Software:
Ableton Live Lite 6 (I had the option to go with this or another piece of software. I chose this program mainly because I'm a fanboy. My two inspirations, Mike Harrington and Sasha both use this software to create beautiful music.)

So now that you've seen my arsenal of equipment I'll tell you what I've done. Slowly but surely I'm learning to beat match. It is a difficult talent to master but I feel like once I've done it progression will come quickly. I liken it to learning to snowboard, remember how difficult it was just to stand up and get going without falling? Once you obtain a sense of balance on your edges everything becomes much simpler. Riding powder or ice and even trying harder terrain becomes easier. Essentially you tend to fall less and less. Once I am able to beat match I should be able to don other tasks in my mixes without having to focus the majority of my song time to matching the beats. I'm looking forward to it becoming second nature. I have compiled a few mixes with two or three tracks but none of these are perfect. I am using them mainly as a training tool. I'm also hoping to figure out how to post them here for your audible discomfort with clipping and all. I guess my hope in creating and maintaining this blog is to keep my drive alive and let people know what really goes into all that work you see on stage. Or for those of you haters, the work you aren't seeing.

So happy reading and listening! Like I said I'm no expert I'm barely a beginner and some of my mixes might turn out like Frankenstein and others I'm hoping will be like the replicants in Blade Runner.

1 comments:

Jerbones said...

I have added the RSS feed for your blog to my RSS reader app...Blog away my friend...Blog away <3 Jerbones

Post a Comment